Monday, December 19, 2016

Cupping - The Miracle Revealed



         I escape from work for an extended lunch hour.   It may be a bit irresponsible of me to turn off my pager and silence my phone in the middle of the day, but the reward is decadent - an hour of true relaxation.  Also, I don’t want anything to detract from my cupping experience.  The spa is located in a cozy cottage in the Montford historic district of Asheville.  Without GPS assistance, it would be nearly impossible to find.  As I enter, I am greeted by a diminutive blonde woman who will be my cupper – if that is the appropriate term.  She hands me the requisite form to list why I have come and to give my past medical history.  There is a line to indicate if I have any communicable diseases.  I pause and think of some cool diseases I might write down.  After a bit of contemplation, I decide to write “leprosy” on the line while enjoying a small chuckle.  I also note that I suffer from chronic lower back pain and bilateral shoulder tendonitis.

     When I have finished completing the form, she leads me into a small room with a massage table in the center.  She explains that the session will be an hour in length with some initial deep massage followed by cupping.  She asks what I hope to gain from the session.  I say that I would like to have two fully functional shoulders, relief of my back pain, and at least one Olympic gold medal.  She gives me a sideward glance and says, “Special Olympics maybe.”  She is a funny one.  Doesn’t she realize that humor is my shtick?  She then shows me the cupping machine, which is about the size of a bread box with numerous dials and gauges along with several tubes connected to glass cups.  Basically, it is a small vacuum device.  She says she will step out while I get undressed.  She indicates that I can fully disrobe or leave my underwear on.  I sheepishly opt for wearing my boxers.

       When she returns, I am safely tucked in face down between the warm sheets on the massage table.  For the next hour, my visual field is limited to the shadows and movements which I can see from the hole in the head rest.  She is barefoot with painted toenails – that is about all I know.  She tells me that she may be small, but that she will do her best to give me a good, deep massage.  “Think of me as a hefty Russian woman, rather than a small woman who weighs 100 pounds soaking wet,” she says.  While I lay there waiting to begin, she says, “I see you suffer from Leprosy.”  I laugh, forced to reveal my little joke.

        She dims the lights and turns on some soothing background music.  Then, she gets down to business.  She kneads warm lotion into my back and shoulder muscles.  I am in my happy place.  For the most part, I enter a zone of semi-consciousness.  She thoroughly works me over, from my shoulders down to my upper buttocks.  After about 40 minutes, she pauses and turns on the cupping device.  She applies the vacuum cups to my back and shoulder.  It feels like she only applies one or two at a time, but I am not sure.  The longer the cup is applied, the more intense the pulling sensation.  It feels like a strong vacuum cleaner being applied to my skin.  She alternates between leaving one or two cups in a single place while massaging a different region of my back – using massage as a distraction so that she gets me to relax areas I would otherwise naturally tense up.  She also uses the cups like vacuum cleaners, rubbing them up and down my back and shoulders with intermittent stays for a few seconds in different regions.  The cups create a little discomfort, but nothing too unpleasant.  They do little to jolt me out of my state of relaxation.  After about 20 minutes, she clicks off the machine, and we are done.  Prior to her stepping out the room, she tells me to take my time getting dressed.  She also encourages me to drink a lot of water throughout the rest of the day.  She also says I should expect to get a few stares if I go swimming or participate in group activities without a shirt in the next few days.  I pay 105 dollars, and after a little small talk, I am out the door.

        When I get home, I strip off my shirt and examine my back in the mirror.  I look like Michael Phelps, minus the big shoulders and V-shaped back.  A number of silver dollar sized bruises pepper my back.  I tell my kids I was mugged by a man with a baseball bat on the way home, and I am lucky to be alive.  They almost believe me.  They act concerned, but then I reveal the truth, and they again regard me with typical indifference.  They are used to my kidding.  I do look forward to showing off my marks at the pool. 

        Aside from the new experience, are my shoulders and back better?   Time will tell.  

 

 

Please check out my recently published book on Alternative Medicine.  It makes a great Christmas gift!

 

2 comments:

  1. I found this on realclearscience.com...

    #4. Pseudoscience on Display at the Olympics
    The 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro showcased the world's greatest athletes, as well as some fairly outlandish pseudoscience.

    All the sporting classics like kinesio taping, breathing nasal strips, and ice baths were on display, even though their effectiveness has yet to be demonstrated scientifically.

    New and notable was a technique called cupping, in which an area of skin is drawn up into a cup by creating a vacuum. Practiced fairly quietly for over 3,000 years, it rose to wide prominence this summer when United States swimming legend Michael Phelps was seen with circular bruises all over his body, the after effects of cupping. The technique is claimed to help with muscle recovery, but there's no evidence it does any such thing, and it might actually be dangerous.

    (Image: AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption  for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Brain Cancer,Lung Cancer,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheriaAmyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact  .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete